17 June 2013
Strainstall launch new rugged footswitch
Strainstall, the UK based load cell manufacturer, has launched a uniquely designed rugged footswitch.
- Unique rugged footswitch for harsh environments developed by James Fisher group company Strainstall
- Durable under extreme operating conditions
- Improves productivity by reducing maintenance
- Further demonstrates the leadership of James Fisher and Sons plc group companies in marine engineering and technology
This innovative patented product has been specifically manufactured for use in harsh environments, such as the marine, offshore, mining and food processing industries, where equipment is often exposed to the weather, dust, water and other liquids and abrasive materials. The new footswitch is unique as it has no moving parts, so its function is unaffected by these extreme operating conditions.
Utilising Strainstall’s extensive experience in strain gauge technology, the footswitch operates in a simple, but novel way. Load applied by the users foot to an element causes stress, and the resulting strain is sensed by strain gauges. The electrical signal from the strain gauges is monitored, and when a pre-defined applied load is reached (around 10kgs), a signal passes to a trip level which provides switch function. The foot switch has a protected cable and is fixed in a stainless steel housing that provides stability and protection. It is hermetically sealed to IP67, making it ideal for antimicrobial environments where frequent jet washing or steam cleaning is common. It also has ATEX/IECEx certification for use in Zone 1 and 2 hazardous areas.
Additional features and benefits include:
- On/off switch or variable speed control options
- Fully stainless steel construction
- Maintenance free
- Exceptional reliability in the most severe environments
- Rated for use in high temperature environments to 60ºC
- Can be pressure or steam cleaned
- Proven field experience
- Heavy duty and robust
- Plug and play design
Adrian Coventry, engineering director, said:
“The new rugged footswitch’s suitability for long-term use in arduous conditions offers our customers unrivalled reliability, and additionally, because it has no moving parts it requires no maintenances, providing significant cost savings over the life of the unit.”